Moving to Belleville (Belleville Minor Hockey Association)

PrintMoving to Belleville
If you are moving to Belleville and want your son or daughter to be eligible to attend Rep Tryouts, the following guide will provide a step by step walk through of what’s required before attending tryouts.

Belleville is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by OMHA Regulation 3.3 governing that only confirmed residents of Belleville residence shall be eligible to tryout, and be rostered to a rep team.  Rep Teams that fall under this regulation:
  • U9 AA, A through U18 AA
  • Minor Development 8

Belleville DOES accept NRP Passports (U12 Through U18).

Please read the instructions in its entirety and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete will not be processed and will only delay completion.

Step 1: Obtain the necessary documents:

Complete online Residential Transfer Form

Mandatory Documents 

Residential Transfer Form (can be requested by email from BMHA –[email protected])

  • Copy of Birth Certificate for Player
  • Copy of Purchase or Rental Agreement (amounts can be blacked out)
  • Copy of Driver’s License with new Address
  • Copy of Home Insurance with new Belleville Address
  • Copy of bills with the new Belleville address (the more the better)
  • Copy of school enrollment confirmation (citing school year): School MUST be in Belleville
  • Notary Public Affidavit in split custody circumstances, with split residence, confirming the player resides within Belleville more than 50% of the time (joint-custody).
    • Note this can also be used as additional documentation in other family or custody orders

Optional Documents (ensure approval)

  • Property Tax bill/statement for new Belleville Address
  • Land Title/Deed

Step 2: Deliver a copy of each document to the BMHA office (Full required documentation)

Do not come into the Belleville office until you have a copy of each of the above documents, half completed packages will not be accepted.

Copies of all necessary documents proving residency in Belleville must be received by 4:00pm on April 1st in order for a player to be eligible to attend tryouts.   Any residency requests submitted after this date cannot be guaranteed for timing.

Please direct any questions and/or concerns to:

[email protected]

Residency Compliance

 This is for information purposes only. For the official OMHA residency rules visit the OMHA web site and go to the Manual of Operations.
If you live in the City of Belleville your residency is compliant, if you don't you may want to take the time to investigate if you have what is termed Right of Choice (you can decide what hockey centre to play for). Keeping in mind this applies to participation in representative hockey league play, representative exhibition games and representative tournaments. Representative being Select, Roster Select, MD, AE, AA.  If you want to play on a centre’s regular house league team, participate in house league tournaments or play exhibition games with other centre’s house league teams your residency is not an issue.
Process for determining residency eligibility
1) In Google Map select get directions
2) Enter your residential address with postal code.
3) Enter your home centre’s Centre Point Address (IE Belleville  Post office 21 College St West, Belleville ON )
4) Select get directions - distance is calculated and displayed - write this down
5) Enter the home centre in question Centre Point address (see listing)
6) Select get directions - distance is calculated and displayed - write this down
If the difference between your home centre and the next closest hockey centre is less than 8km then the player has Right of Choice and can play in either centre (but only one),if it's not within the 8kms, you must return to your home centre.  Further, Belleville MHA and Quinte West MHA have a hard boundary , if you are unclear of the hard boundaries, please email [email protected]


Q. I am moving to Belleville from another centre that is not part of the OMHA (GTHL, out of province, etc.) - does that make a difference?

A. Yes it does! Per OHF regulation E.99, if you are transferring from another hockey centre that is outside of the OMHA, you will also need to submit this Hockey Player Residential Form

Q. I am thinking about moving to Belleville, but haven’t settled on a home/condo/rental.  How does this impact me?

A. Your player is not eligible to play Belleville Rep/MD Hockey until you satisfy all documentation requirements outlined above.

Q. I have purchased a home/condo/rental in Belleville, but I don’t move in until after Tryouts.  Is my player eligible to skate at Tryouts?

A. No – you must reside in Belleville prior to tryouts.

Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Belleville, the other is not – is my player eligible for tryouts under this circumstance?

A. As long as you can satisfy all documentation requirements above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Belleville parent, and the player attends school in Belleville, then the player will be eligible.

Q. My purchased home in Belleville doesn’t close until after the season starts (Sept) – what now?

A. Unfortunately, your player will not be able to participate in tryouts for that season as per current OMHA regulations.

Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?

A. No – the Hockey Canada Registry will block all activity by Belleville until such time that the residency request is processed.

Q. I don’t agree with this residency stuff and I am going to file a false move.

A. You should be aware that every Residency/Move request and all documentation is thoroughly investigated by the OMHA, and any false claim or misleading information may result in player suspension for a prolonged period of time, regardless of association (Hockey Canada).

Q. What is the process between the BMHA and the OMHA?  I want to know more.

A. Your documents will be reviewed by the BMHA for completeness, accuracy and format.  Should they pass this preliminary review, the BMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR).  Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness.  The OMHA will then a) approve, b) decline, or c)investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the BMHA accordingly.  Once notified, the BMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.

Q. I am moving into Belleville but my player has no interest in Rep or Select and will not be trying out for any of those teams, nor are they interested in being an affiliated player to a Rep or Select Team – what process do I follow?

A. Please follow the same process and select "House League" on the Residential Transfer Form.